Thursday, July 26, 2007

Federal Intervention in NT Indigenous Communities

Firstly a big hello to anyone reading this,

Just a bit of an update- decided to do the question on federal intervention in NT Indigenous Communities. Thought it would be a good topic because it’s something that’s been in the news and papers for ages yet I don’t really know all that much about it.

At this point in time this is my understanding of the issue:
As of the 21st of June this year the federal government has taken control of 60 remote aboriginal communities in the Northern Territory to attempt to overcome problems of child abuse. While the government has received public support for addressing the issue most are unhappy with its approach fearing they may do more harm than good.

Only at the initial info gathering stage and I must say there are a lot of opinions out there and to be honest I’m a bit nervous writing publicly about such a serious and sensitive issue.

You can follow the links to the APS statement on the issue (http://www.psychology.org.au/news/media_releases/13July2007)
and a summary of The little children are sacred report
(http://www.nt.gov.au/dcm/inquirysaac/report_summary.html) commissioned by the NT government (responsible for triggering the actions of the federal government) for a bit of background info if you’re interested.

Also found some useful articles on the ABC website (http://www.abc.net.au/news/tag/child-abuse/default_9.htm) which gives a few different opinions on the matter.


Would be great to hear from anyone with any opinions or comments!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

Rebekah said...

Hi Belinda.... thanks for your comment!

I have a few thoughts on the whole NT initiative.. however they my be a little biased. My sister works for CRS (Commonwealth Rehabilitation Service) doing alot of Rehab and Psychological assessments for physically and mentally ill clients and will be doing a few 6 week stints in NT helping the aboriginal communities though the government plan.

It is in the early stages at the moment but the amount of literature, counselling and education about aboriginal communities being provided to all professionals going there is just unbelievable.
I think this is a really interesting topic and I'll see what info about it she has.. but in terms of health and rehabilitation I believe that some Aboriginal initiatives are needed... just look at their life expectancy compared to other australians. xxxx

Mike said...

I don't really know much about the intervention strategy but am very interested in the topic for the following reasons:

*I don't know any aboriginal people.
*Some of my favourite footballers/athletes are aboriginals and I feel have been hard done by in terms of representative selection and performance recognition.
*Aboriginal life expectancy is approximately 20 years less than other Australians.
*Aboriginal unemployement and imprisonment is substantially higher than the national average.
*The negative connatation that was associated with aboriginals at school (from students).
*I've always had a soft spot for underdogs/outcasts etc.

I am probably going to pick the aboriginal topic for blog 1 and look forward to sharing resources and learning from everyone.

James Neill said...

This could be useful:
Deep listening: working with Indigenous mental distress. If you want the audio, you'll need to download it asap.

Rebecca said...

Hiya Belinda!

I've decided to do question 4 as well for slightly different reasons to yourself. Like you I first heard of it because of the attention it attracted in the media; but I am interested in the issue to see whether it does end up having a positive affect for Aboriginal children.

From my last psych subject I know it will be important to look at the possible impacts of the government trying to treat this issue from a white western perspective and not considering the Aboriginal cultural implications.

I think we will find it really interesting researching this issue and I'll post any interesting articles I find along the way!

Rebecca

mick - PARIAH said...

http://www.pariahnt.org/news/content/view/81/1/

Aboriginal response is mostly negative - I listen to them - attend their funerals and see how they are treated

White society caused Aboriginal woes - we are neither capable nor willing to fix them

And that makes our society the truly "dysfunctional" one

-------------------------

Mike said...

Thats not a very positive attitude Mick.

Michael Hennessy said...

Hey Belinda,
I'm really looking forward to reading more of your posts. I have read through some of the articles you linked to and there is some really interesting information there. i don't think i realised how little i knew on this topic before i started reading it. Hopefully by the time you are finished your poll will show fewer "i don't know enough" responses.
Also, the poll is closed at the moment, not sure if this was deliberate or not?
~ Michael